Sunday, November 18, 2007

jack and the witch


It doesn't get much better than this:
Above is a freaky little scene from a wonderful anime film that I watched when I was four or so called Jack and the witch (1967).
I distinctly remember bits of this show, including this clip, it's left an indelible mark on my memory and I'd dearly love to see it again in full but such a desire will need to go unfulfilled for the time being, alas.
The film is about a young man who finds himself transported to another land, which is dominated by witch. There's a bad windmill in there somewhere too. When the windmill turns, something really bad happens. Cant' remember what.
The film is quite dark and wonderfully inventive but I'll probably never get the opportunity to relive the experience because the film on DVD is only available in Japanese which I don't speak.
I remember accidentally taping over a bit of it with about thirty seconds of Astroboy on our Betamax VCR and then hiding under my bed because I thought I'd be belted. Those precious memories. As it was, I didn't get in trouble at all, although I was terribly upset to delete some of the movie.
I blame Sony.
now playing: broadcast - microtronics 02 (?)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:19 am, Blogger Lone Primate said...

Nope, it doesn't get much better than Jack and the Witch. The windmill is what powers "the magic mirror", the front of a device that changes victims into "harpies" who then serve the evil Queen Auriana. I bought the Japanese version and have a bad copy of the English version and matched the Japanese print to the English track. There was an 8-minute gap in the English track, but it came together pretty well. Last year, I found someone else who had the entire English track intact, and had done pretty much the same thing. It might be possible to get a copy to you.

 
At 7:03 am, Blogger Edwin B said...

Great film! Does anyone know who did the voices in the English version? Sure sounds like Corinne Orr (trixie from Speed Racer) as Allegra.

 
At 1:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had lost hope of ever finding out even the name of this movie--all I had was a vague, but really powerful memory of a cartoon that seemed to take place in hell that I had inexplicably stumbled onto on Halloween at about age ten--but I really, really wanted to see it again. It's all on Youtube now, broken up into 10-minute segments--thanks to whoever posted it for helping scratch a really weird itch in my brain!

 
At 4:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack And The Witch is up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHs1asT56A

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger Dreck said...

Brilliant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home