Wednesday, February 09, 2005

It Rubs The Lotion On Its Body And Puts It In The Bucket

What do you say to yourself in the morning as you bleerily peer at your reflected face, scraping gel shit off with the little bits of hair?
I never remember.
I think the substance of my thoughts are elsewhere.
Perhaps there isn't any thinking going on.
Zen trance?
Sometimes I think about how I look or will look and how others will perceive me.
I don't think I care as much about my appearance as some but that's not to say that I don't care at all!
Of course I do.
Have you ever heard someone say: "I dress like this (or put make up on, etc) for me. I do it for me. It makes me feel good. I'm not doing it for anyone except me."
Bull shit!
Why bother at all, in that case?
No, we live for each other as much as for ourselves.
If you were the last person on Earth you would cease to be a person per se.
I make sense of myself as a 'person' in a community of other people and in relation to the whole place in which I find myself (the next question is 'what kind of person?').
I see myself in relation to the context in which I am.
Never the same.
I start out there and reverse engineer back to some sense of self when I feel the need to justify some action or state of being.
Thoroughly contingent.
I remember what I was saying to myself over and over again as I was performing my morning ablutions, staring into my eyes:
"Looking good, seeing clearer."
?

2 Comments:

At 6:23 pm, Blogger Dave said...

We collectively engage in activities that are absurd, does the fact that we all do these thing make them any less so? Whole communities find pleasure and honour in head hunting . How is that any less odd then applying moisturiser every day........or dancing? I never did figure out what the hell dancing was all about. You said something the other day about the maturity of the custom of kissing casually, and I guess I understand that to surpass the uncomfortable feelings of ones childhood in relation to kissing is mature. But in some parallel existance i can imagine you saying "There is something mature about eating the brains of ones enemys."

We're going to melbourne in a couple of weeks, when will you be there?
I went and picked up your thesis today, 16 pages in and enjoying it. I'll blog my thought soon

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Dreck said...

And there might well be something mature about eating the brains of one's enemies in an alternate reality. It's all contextual.
I think that contributes to the absurdity. That it's all contingent on a whole range of factors.
I find kissing a friend on the cheek to be a move away from some kind of immaturity. But this says more about me than it does about the maturity of kissing and I freely admit that.
I ascribe the meaning of maturity to kissing - it does not have to be that way.
Enter Absurdity again.
So, there's nothing new or strange here but the point is, that the things we take for granted or do routinely can sometimes show up in all their absurdity and these little daily augenblicks are a means to not taking yourself to seriously.
Once again, this is all contingent on my stuff. This says more about me than it does about anything.
Which is what this whole blog thing is about it seems.
I feel uncomfortable blogging...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home