Saturday, June 04, 2005

Radicool Radio

Currently, I'm volunteering at 3CR Radio: Melbourne's radical community radio station since 1970-something.
I work on reception and field enquiries over the phone, directing them to appropriate people.
The work is a good no-brainer and it's interesting to see what the radio station does.
The two highlights, as far as radio programs go, are 'Keep Left', a diehard Marxistic (somewhat anachronistic?) talk program about worker's stuff in Australia and a general slag-off of all things Bush and Howard.
The other program I'm thinking of right now is Marngrook Footy Program, a program about indiginous footy players (AFL/VFL) as well as footy in general.
The other day, I was volunteering and got an amusing abusive call.

This guy at 9:05 in the morning sounded like he was raging drunk and started shouting in my ear about lefty students who don't know what they are talking about, slagging off the moral majority.
I let him down gently - I hung up on him without a word.
Better treatment than he deserved! It's all part of the fun and games.
I'm writing up 15 hours a week of volunteer work at 3CR radio in order to get out of doing real mutual obligation (read: mutual masturbation that involves humiliating and inappropriate volunteering - though only the Government gets off) to receive dole payments.
Dog bless radicool radio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home